Monday, May 11, 2009

Game #84


226964 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 19, -2/165 (169) HPs)
Hit by a large rock thrown by a stone giant on Level 27 of the Dungeon.

This was by far my best game to date, as I have never had a character reach level 19, nor have I ever made it to the bottom of the dungeon before. The Swamp was actually easy in this game, as I managed to get a war axe of flaming, and a very good bow from Trog and I used the combination of the two to easily deal with the hydras, swamp dragons and other nasties in the Swamp. With the rune from the Swamp obtained, I moved over to the Snake Pit and quickly cleared the first four levels. The fifth level was tough, but not too bad. I find that the fact that the Guardian Nagas teleport you actually helps, as it gives you an automatic escape option, after which you can rest and regain your hitpoints before rejoining the battle.

I could not find any way to see invisible, which caused me problems in the middle levels of the dungeon, especially when I encountered a group of boggarts on level 18. I cleared out the Hive, as I was running into food difficulties and then cleared the dungeon down to level 20. I then went back and started clearing the Vaults. All went well until I hit level 5 and encountered Boris. I quickly summoned help and ran away, especially as once he turned invisible, I had no way to find him. With clearing the Vaults no longer possible, I decided to push to the bottom of the dungeon before deciding upon my next course of action.

On level 26, I encountered a Lich, who summoned a couple of type 1 demons. Amazingly, I managed to easily win the battle, by berserking and then summoning a troll and using a potion of speed when the berserk wore off. Around this time, Trog gifted me an ankus that provided the ability to see invisible, though it is a mixed blessing, as it is a -4,-6 ankus, so I can see the invisible monster, but I will be hard pressed to hurt them.

Unfortunately, level 27 proved to be the death of me. I encountered a fire giant and a storm dragon at the same time. While I was fighting the fire giant, the storm dragon was blasting me with lightning, and I did not have any electrical resistance. I managed to defeat both creatures, but I had 29 hitpoints left when I was done. I started resting and a stone giant appeared. I summoned a troll, moved away from the stone giant and was hit by a rock. The end of the best character I have ever had, as level 27 is the bottom of the dungeon - I actually saw the entrances to the Realm of Zot!

Lessons Learned
1. Stone Giants are dangerous and can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.
2. Play slowly and carefully in the deeper levels of the dungeon.
3. Purchase all unidentified artifact items in the shops, as there was an artifact armor that provided electrical resistance.

No comments: