Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Game #109


651 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 6, 0/45 HPs)
Succumbed to poison on Level 7 of the Dungeon.

I am developing a strong dislike for shaft traps, as they compound the out of depth issues in the game, by dumping you down two levels deeper than you are ready for. I had just started exploring level 6 when I fell down a shaft and arrived on level 8. I immediately encountered an orc and an ogre that I had to berserk to defeat. While resting, I encountered a large group of orcs, which required the use of summoned help. With no obvious way up, I started exploring, only to encounter a killer bee, which ended up being the death of me. However, I did manage to stay alive for some time. I caused the killer bee to flee from me twice and was able to get my hitpoints up to around 70%, which allowed me to start exploring for a way out of level 8.

I found a staircase, but the damn killer bee arrived at the same time. I probably should have fought it off at that point, but instead I made a run for the staircase and drug the bee up to level 7. Of course there was a zombie of something on level 7, and I was in the middle of a room, so I summoned help and fled. Somehow I managed to survive - I had 1 hitpoint while the zombie swung at me for a couple of turns. After that, my summoned bear went off down a hallway to deal with some orcs, while I rested. I ended up dying, even though I was pretty sure I was no longer poisoned. Oh well - I had no potions anyway, so there was nothing I could have done.

Lessons Learned
1. Don't bring a monster with you up (or down) and unknown staircase.

No comments: