Monday, April 13, 2009

Game #66 Continued

So, when we last left our intrepid hero, he had just finished clearing level 15 of the dungeon and I was planning on moving on to the Lair. I easily completed all 10 levels of the lair, despite the fact that I have been unable to find a good artifact axe. The two I have suck, in that they have negative or very small bonuses and the recurse special rule, which means that they aren't the greatest for a main weapon.

Once the Lair was cleared, I moved on to the Swamp. Nothing interest occurred on the first four levels, but I really struggled on the last level. Even with my summoned help, there were times where I was down to around 25 hitpoints and facing two hydras. Luckily, I managed to survive, though it took a lot of my favour with Trog, and I made it back to the Lair with the rune.

Next up was the Snake Pit, as I figured I could use the first few levels to regain my favour with Trog, prior to using it all up on the final level. Level 1 was a breeze, but Level 2 featured a unique I had never encountered before - a lich named Boris. He appears to be obscenely powerful, as his spells hit hard, he is immune to most everything and he can turn invisible. Upon encoutering him, I shot a wand of fireball, as what undead creature is immune to fire? I guess liches are. I then summoned help, but I only get wimpy ogres after a couple of attempts, due to my lack of favour. Boris quickly killed my Ogre, turned on me and turned invisible. I had to switch helmets in order to gain the ability to see invisible, but by the time I took off my one helmet, Boris had me down to 30 hitpoints. I immediately teleported and was lucky enough to get away.

Unfortunately, I only teleported a short distance and as I started walking, Boris appeared again. I tried to summon more help and managed to get two Ogres after six or seven attempts and used them to block Boris while I ran down a different hallway, helped out by a potion of speed. While I did that, a couple of snakes started chasing me and I encountered a naga warrior and three nagas at the end of the hallway. With my hitpoints in the mid-50s, I started swinging and somehow managed to defeat the nagas and get out of the hallway to a staircase down.

I explored level 3 and found all the up staircases. With some trepidation, I went up to level 2 and slowly explored until I found an up staircase that allowed me to leave. (I guess I should mention that the staircase I originally came down was not a great option, as it was sitting behind a trap of Zot.)

Tomorrow, I guess I will continue exploring the dungeon.

No comments: