Thursday, March 19, 2009

Game #59


152824 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 17, 0/146 HPs)
Slain by a stone giant simulcram on Level 19 of the Dungeon.

Ouch! Who knew that a monster could do 46 hitpoints of damage in one attack, even though my armour class was in the 30s?

Except for the end part where I died, this game went very well. Went down to the Lair and cleared it out and obtained no less than 5 options for poison resistance. I ran into difficulties in the last level of the Swamp and almost died. I got surrounded by swamp dragons, hydras and frogs and it was only a lucky teleport that got me out. Regardless, I was able to obtain the rune from the Swamp. I then cleared the Snake Pit, and for some reason the final level was quite easy this time. I ran into a Greater Naga early on in the last level, and it teleported me into the room with the rune. I thought I was in big trouble, but I was able to summon a couple of helpers and then retreat to a spot where only one enemy could attack me. That made it quite easy to clear out that room and get a second rune.

With two runes, my next goal was to clear the dungeon down to level 20, but I ended up dying on level 19. I kept encountering and dealing with enemies, but I wasn't watching my hitpoints close enough, since I foolishly assumed that unless I was in the 30 range that everything would be OK. *sigh*

Lessons Learned
1. Keep your hitpoints up, even as you get more and more hitpoints.

No comments: