Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Game #63


3865 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 9, -4/78 HPs)
Slain by an unseen horror on Level 9 of the Dungeon.

Everything was going perfect in this game, until I arrived on Level 8 of the Dungeon. One of the down staircases brought me next to a room with an altar to Beough and a staircase down to the Orcish Mines. Of course, that room was filled with orcs. It was a tough battle, especially when the orc priests arrived, but I managed to survive.

Later on in the level, there was a room where the middle half was full of water, with treasure on the far side and a single water statue (or ice statue) in the middle of the water. Like a moth to a flame, I felt compelled to see what was on the other side of the room, so I walked up to the edge of the water. The stupid statue waited until that point to do anything, but once I got to the water, it let loose with a vengeance. Freezing blasts, frozen vapours and ice beasts surrounded me. I quickly read a scroll of teleportation, but figured I was dead. I escaped with 3 hitpoints and the realization that statues simply should not be f@#$ed with.

The next level saw my death, as an unseen horror arrived. I tried to play smart and trap it in a hallway, since I did not have anyway to see invisible. Unfortunately, it was getting 4 to 10 hits in to every one hit I was, and that quickly took down all my hitpoints. From now on, I think I will avoid unseen horrors, if they are unseen.

Lessons Learned
1. Do not go anywhere near statues without a wand of disintegration.
2. Do not fight unseen horrors without the ability to see invisible.

No comments: