Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Game #62


132 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 4, -5/36 HPs)
Slain by a gnoll on Level 1 of the Dungeon.

Stupid game. There were at least 5 gnolls, if not more, on the first level of the dungeon, as I only managed to explore 2/3rds of the level before dying. I first encountered three gnolls early on. I backed into a hallway, went berserk and dealt with them. A little while later, I encountered a hobgoblin with a club that was really hurting me, so I went berserk again in order to defeat him. After that came my second encounter with gnolls, and my third time berserking on the first level of the dungeon. This meant I was hungry and had already exhausted my starting food source, as well as a number of questionable corpses. So, when I had my third encounter with a gnoll, I had no choice but to fight him normally, as I could not go berserk. Of course, he had a runed halberd and quickly took me down below half hitpoints. I had a couple of potions, so I drank one and prayed for the best. Unfortunately, it was a potion of confusion, which gave the gnoll an easy target.

Stupid game. I really had no choice but to berserk in the three situations I did, as if I had not, I would have died. However, that left me hungry and without food and still facing dangerous situations, with absolutely no way to escape. The early game in Crawl really needs to be tweaked, so that early dangerous battles do not leave you with no options for later battles.

No comments: