Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Game #100


17104 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 12, -4/98 HPs)
Slain by a slime creature on Level 14 of the Dungeon.

I stuck to my plan and played very carefully whenever my hitpoints were low. Partly because of that, this felt like a very rough game, as I was constantly berserking and searching for food in the early game. Later on I found an amulet of the gourmand, which took care of any food issues, but I never really accumulated a good stash of escape options, which created a problem when I ran into trouble on level 14.

The main problem was that I had an artifact +0, +13 war axe that provided a negative bonus to my cold resistance. For the first part of the game with the axe, I was wearing a ring of protection from cold to counteract the penalty. Later on, I was forced to use a ring of poison resistance and a ring of see invisible in order to deal with unseen horrors and poison causing creatures. Level 14 was big and open and I encountered an unseen horror, a couple of other smaller monsters and a centaur captain with a bow of frost. I berserked and took out all the monsters, but the bow of frost was doing massive amounts of damage, which left me sitting on 8 hitpoints and facing three slime creatures when my berserk wore off.

I had already used up all my good scrolls, and I felt that a scroll of teleportation was a bit dangerous in an unexplored level, so I quaffed my last potion of extra healing and a potion of speed to counteract the slow penalty. I made it past the slime creatures to a staircase, but all three were right beside me. I went up, but was surrounded by the three. I tried to berserk to fight them, but was killed before I could. In retrospect, I guess I should have gambled with the scroll of teleportation.

No comments: