Thursday, June 18, 2009

Game #96 Finished


212158 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 19, -17/160 (163) HPs)
Demolished by a stone giant on Level 23 of the Dungeon.

I thought things were going very well for this character, until I got into a very dangerous situation and did not properly evaluate my escape options. After getting the two runes, I simply continued to explore the dungeon. At one point I even managed to defeat a stone giant and a gold dragon at the same time. As I was exploring level 23, which had large open hallways, I encountered a centaur captain, a ghost of some sort and a stone giant. I correctly started to retreat, but the centaur and ghost quickly caught me, while a simulcram and a bunch of killer bees arrived from a different direction. I summoned help, which tried to fight the stone giant, but quickly died. It was at this point that I made a fatal mistake, and I really don't know what I was thinking. Rather than blinking or teleporting, I decided to berserk, simply for the extra speed so that I could make it back to the staircase.

As should be expected, my berserking wore off in three turns, leaving me slow and still facing all the enemies. I still did not blink or teleport, but simply tried to slog my way back to the staircase, drinking potions of healing as my hitpoints dropped. After walking up the staircase, I was hit enough times that I died.

Lessons Learned
1. Choose a proper escape option when in trouble. Blinking is the best option to get away from enemies and closer to a staircase.
2. Never use berserk if you do not intend to fight.

No comments: