Friday, June 26, 2009

Game #102


598 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 6, 0/49 HPs)
Slain by an ogre on level 6 of the Dungeon.

I came very close to dying on level 4, when I fought an orc priest, who seriously injured me, forcing me to berserk to defeat him. While I rested, an orc appeared with a battleaxe of venom (seriously?!?!) and took me down to 4 hitpoints and poisoned me. I was slow, with nothing identified - luckily two of my potions were healing and heal wounds, or else I would have been dead.

Once again, I ended up dying when I did not consider myself to be in any great danger. I was above 50% hitpoints (27/49), I had a decent start of game armour class (10), and I had an ogre who was seriously wounded and poisoned when I made my attack. My attack hit but did not kill the ogre, who managed to get in two attacks to my one (which should not be possible, given that his attack delay is as bad as mine) and he did 27 points of damage.

Stupid game. I really don't know what to do - berserk everytime your hitpoints go below 75%? If I did that, I doubt I would make it through the dungeon without dying of hunger. What Crawl really needs is a warning when you start an action that will allow a visible enemy to make multiple attacks. Of course, the idea would need to be tweaked a bit, as you would not want a warning every time you attacked a weak creature that was faster than you (such as a giant bat, or killer bee). Still, some sort of warning would be nice.

No comments: