Thursday, February 5, 2009

Game #30


10946 Bob the Mountain Dwarf Hunter (level 11, -2/89 HPs)
Slain by a six-headed hydra on Level 5 of the Lair of Beasts.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness." *sigh* - This was the second hydra I encountered, and after I successfully dealt with the first one, I became overconfident and kept swinging at this hydra long after I should have turned and fled.

While I normally use an axe and a crossbow as my weapons, I found a hammer artifact that provided electricity, cold and magic resistance, so I had trained my maces and flails up just in case I needed to use the hammer. I also had a mace of draining, which I had used to defeat the first hydra.

Even once I stopped swinging, I still could have saved this game, if I had been willing to pillar dance for long enough to get my hitpoints high enough to use a scroll of teleportation. However, my overconfidence continued, and I thought that a wand of disintegration would finish the hydra off. It didn't, and the hydra killed me.

So, this death is totally my fault.

Lessons Learned
1. Just because you have defeated a monster once, doesn't mean you will be able to defeat it a second time.

No comments: