Thursday, February 19, 2009

Game #42


3464 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 9, -2/75 HPs)
Slain by an orc wizard on Level 9 of the Dungeon.

Who knew that dungeon level 3 could be so dangerous? I encountered an area surrounded by water and full of jackals, gnolls and the odd orc and ogre. At one point, I had 9 gnolls on the screen before running away to level 2. All the berserking in order to defeat kept making me hungry, but gnoll meat is only partially edible and I swear that every piece I ate made me sick, so I spent a lot of time recovering from my sickness and then recovering my hitpoints.

Regardless, I managed to survive. Below is my list of vanquished creatures at the end of dungeon level 3, where I was already at level 7.

Vanquished Creatures
An ogre (D:3)
A centaur (D:2)
A giant frog (D:3)
3 snakes
47 gnolls
An ooze (D:1)
10 giant bats
2 giant geckos (D:2)
8 goblins
5 hobgoblins
22 jackals
5 kobolds
9 orcs (D:3)
3 giant cockroaches
5 giant newts
9 rats
132 creatures vanquished.

47 gnolls and 22 jackals, and they were all in one fairly large area. And it did not end there. Level 4 contained a bunch of small rooms, each filled with gnolls! Too bad you can't take a racial emnity in Crawl.

I won't bore you with the rest of this game, which sucked because I foolishly wielded an axe I found on the ground, which turned out to be cursed. I made it from level 4 all the way down to level 9 with a -3, -2 hand axe, but I never found a single scroll of remove curse. I should know better than to wield unknown weapons.

On level 9, I got annoyed with the game and essentially played poorly in order to die. I walked down a staircase into an open area with a lot of bad guys, so I went berserk and waded in. Once my berserk wore off, I kept swinging and was quickly defeated. I finished the game with 71 gnolls killed, which should put a solid dent in the gnoll population of Crawl.

No comments: