Thursday, February 12, 2009

Game #37


1641 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 8, -7/68 HPs)
Mangled by an orc on Level 7 of the Dungeon.

We'll label this game as "berserking doesn't win every battle". On level 7 of the dungeon, I encountered a large room full of orcs - probably 10-12 regular orcs plus a few orc priests and a few orc warriors. Since they were bottle-necked in a doorway, I figured I could easily go berserk and stand in the door until they were all defeated. However, even berserked fighters are not immune to the smiting attack of orcish priests. As I easily defeated the first few orcs and orc warriors, the orc priests quickly knocked me down to 1 hitpoint. I immediately fled and got just into a hallway when my berserk wore off. I tried to read a scroll of teleportation, but due to my slowness, an orc was able to walk up and kill me before I could read the scroll.

Lessons Learned
1. Even with berserking, certain battles are dangerous.
2. When you berserk for a dangerous battle, you better be sure you are going to win, as if you do not, the exhaustion effect will make it very difficult to survive.

No comments: