Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Game #45


5411 Bill the Mountain Dwarf Berserker (level 10, -1/85 HPs)
Slain by a troll zombie on Level 11 of the Dungeon.

One of the things that makes Crawl so replayable is the fact that each class type plays just a little bit differently. Unfortunately for me, that means that there are certain rules regarding playing a Berserker that I am struggling to learn. The rule I violated in this game is regarding hunger management. When you encounter a large group of enemies (in this case, a room full of zombies, led by an orc priest), you must ensure you are not going to become hungry during the fight.

Given the number of enemies, I knew that immediately berserking was not the correct solution. The first thing I did was summon help, and a berserked ogre took out 2/3rds of the zombies. During that time, I became hungry, so when my ogre died, I did not have the option to berserk. (Note: While my ogre was fighting the zombies, the orc priest was busy blasting me with his god's wrath. Stupid priestly spells that don't need line of sight.) I was low on hit points and decided to summon another helper. Unfortunately, I failed, which gave the nearest zombie the time to move right beside me. My next move was irrevelant, as the zombie hit me and killed me before it occurred.

Lessons Learned
1. As a berserker, you must keep your food level up, especially when encountering dangerous opponents.

No comments: