Thursday, January 15, 2009

Game #10


111 Bob the Mountain Dwarf Hunter (level 3 -5/25 HPs)
Slain by a gnoll on Level 2 of the Dungeon.

Ouch. Gnolls on level 2 are bad enough, but gnolls with magic weapons are even worse. A monster that can do 17 hitpoints of damage when you only have 25 hitpoints in total is tough to defeat. I thought I had played the encounter fairly well, but I forgot how weak a character I was. I had softened the gnoll up with crossbow fire and was fairly confident that one good blow with my axe would finish him, but I did not do any damage with my attack and the gnoll hit me hard.

Message History

The giant cockroach bites you but doesn't do any damage.
You slash the giant cockroach!
You kill the giant cockroach!
You hit the gnoll, but do no damage.
The gnoll is almost dead.
The gnoll hits you with a runed halberd!
Ouch! That really hurt!

Lessons Learned
1. You really need to be aware of out of depth monsters, which is one of the problems with Crawl, as it takes a lot of experience with Crawl to recognize out of depth monsters and therefore treat them with care.

No comments: