Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Game #5


103 Bob the Mountain Dwarf Hunter (level 2, -1/19 HPs)
Slain by a snake on Level 2 of the Dungeon.

I really want to blame the game on this one, as snakes can be difficult opponents early on in the game. They are faster than you, which means you cannot outrun them and they are poisonous, which increases the damage they do. This snake quickly poisoned me and all I had were three unidentified potions. I drank the first one, which turned out to be a potion of paralysis and Bob stood there while the snake devoured him.

However, it was my fault that I was in that situation. I had walked into a large open area with a snake, a goblin and a rat. I opened fire with my crossbow, but as the goblin was closest, it was the default target, so I killed it first. I should have identified the snake as a more dangerous foe and shot it before it could close to hand to hand combat range. That may not have resulted in my survival, but it would have given me a better chance.

Pity. I actually obeyed some of my lessons learned this game, such as the goblin on level 1 with a runed dagger who took me down to 6 hitpoints. I danced around a pillar until I was able to defeat him, rather than standing around and dying.

Lessons Learned
1. Shoot the most dangerous monster first.

No comments: