Sunday, January 4, 2009

Game #3


343 Bob the Mountain Dwarf Hunter (level 5, -6/41 HPs)
Mangled by an orc warrior on Level 4 of the Dungeon.

I still have not learned that every fight is not a fight to the death. I think I have realized one of the main problems with my gameplay - whenever I first encounter an enemy, I make a good decision as to whether or not I should fight them. However, once that decision has been made, I blindly attack until someone is dead. That is what happened here. I was a long way away from the orc warrior, hit him with a wand of confusion and was able to hit him with a number of bolts before he ended up beside me. He was hurting and I decided I could defeat him in hand to hand combat. I continued to attack him, even once he got my hitpoints below 10. Thus, my untimely death.

I did use up all my potions of healing, but unfortunately, potions of healing do not help against an opponent that can hit you for as much damage as the potion heals. Another lesson learned.

Lessons Learned
1. Orc warriors are dangerous to low level characters and should be avoided.
2. Re-evaluate the combat whenever your hitpoints drop below 50%.
3. Potions of healing are for healing poison, not for healing damage in the middle of combat.

No comments: