Thursday, January 29, 2009

Game #24

This game is a little bit different than my previous games. While loading a new game of Crawl, I noticed the tutorial option and decided to play it to see if it would teach me anything that I did not already know. I chose a Minotaur Berserker and started playing. There was nothing new in the tutorial, but after you reach level 7, the tutorial turns off and you are just playing the game regularly.

Let me just say that Trog is a far more powerful god than Okawaru, my usual choice. He not only grants the ability to go berserk, but also allows you to summon extremely powerful creatures to fight at your side. With Trog's help, I am now at Level 15 and managing to survive, despite my utter lack of poison resistance. I do have a lucky mutation that allows me to eat meat, as well as an amulet of resist slowing, which means that I am able to go berserk whenever I want with little or no penalties.

However, my lack of resistances is my biggest problem right now. I have cleared the first 16 levels of the dungeon, all 10 levels of the Lair, the first 4 levels of the Swamp and the majority of the Orcish Mines, but I have no idea where to go and what to do next. I don't think I have ever had a character get this far, so this is all new ground for me. If I had poison resistance, I'd go through the fifth level of the Swamp, but even with the summoned help, I barely escaped it the first couple of times I tried it.

I know where the Slime Pits, Hive and Vault are, but I am a bit scared to try any of those levels. The Slime Pits really require corrosion resistance, which I don't have. The Hive requires poison resistance, which I don't have and the Vault may require electrical resistance (at least at the lower levels according the information on the Internet), which I don't have.

I have checked every piece of armour that had a prefix and all the jewelry in the game, but nothing grants poison resistance. I don't want to cheat, but I'm considering save scumming, just so that I can check to see if there is any poison resistance that I have missed.

I think what I will try tomorrow is to go through the Hive with the help of my summoned creatures, just to see what it looks like. Who knows, maybe there will be treasure in it.

No comments: