Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Game #16


2519 Bob the Mountain Dwarf Hunter (Level 9 -3/72 HPs)
Slain by a slime creature on Level 9 of the Dungeon.

Just to reiterate - stupid game. I'm fairly certain this was the first time I had ever encountered a slime creature, and unless you have died to a creature, you have no idea how to defeat it. Slime creatures are apparently very tough - they must have a lot of hit points and they hit hard.

This is by far my biggest complaint with Crawl. Whenever you encounter a new enemy, it is extremely easy to end up in an unrecoverable situation. Once I get to around level 10 or 11 of the dungeon, every monster I encounter is new, which means that every monster has a very good chance of killing me. Since I only rarely make it that deep, it is very, very hard to learn the tactics required to defeat each enemy.

This game also reminded me of another flaw of Crawl. Poison resistance is absolutely required at certain points in the game, but you are never guaranteed to obtain poison resistance, making certain parts of the dungeon impassable. This occurred on dungeon level 8 in this game, as it contained a number of killer bees. Killer bees are difficult to defeat with poison resistance and absolutely impossible without.

Stupid game.

No comments: